There's nothing quite like a delicious, hearty Greek meal to bring the family together. And one of our absolute favourites is Greek Lemon Chicken. This mouth-watering dish is bursting with flavour, and it's the perfect choice for a family dinner or a special occasion. Here's how to make it.
- 1 whole chicken, about 3-4 pounds
- 2 lemons
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup Rallis Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Take your whole chicken and rinse it well under cold water. Pat it dry with paper towels.
- Cut the lemons in half and squeeze the juice into a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the minced garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the garlic mixture all over the chicken, making sure to get it under the skin and inside the cavity.
- Place the chicken in a large roasting pan and drizzle with Rallis Olive Oil.
- Pour the chicken broth over the chicken.
- Cut the squeezed lemons into quarters and place them around the chicken in the roasting pan.
- Cover the roasting pan with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 30-45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.
- Serve with your favourite sides and enjoy!
Now, let's talk about why Greek Lemon Chicken is such an important dish in Greek cuisine. For starters, it's a classic example of the Mediterranean diet, which is known for its health benefits. This dish is full of fresh ingredients like lemon, garlic, and oregano, which are all staples of Greek cooking. Plus, it's a great way to showcase local ingredients like fresh, locally-raised chicken. In Greece, this dish is often served in small family restaurants in the villages.
At our house, Greek Lemon Chicken is a family favourite. It's one of those dishes that everyone looks forward to, and we often make it for special occasions or when we're having company over. And let me tell you, it always gets rave reviews!
When it comes to cooking this dish, using fresh, local ingredients is key. Not only does it make the dish taste better, but it also supports local farmers and helps reduce our environmental impact. So, next time you make Greek Lemon Chicken, be sure to head to your local farmers market and pick up some fresh ingredients.
One of the things I love most about Greek cuisine is how it combines simple, fresh ingredients to create delicious and wholesome meals. Greek Lemon Chicken is a perfect example of this. It's a straightforward recipe that packs a punch of flavour, thanks to the lemon and garlic. And the best part? It's easy to make!
One of the most important parts of this recipe is the chicken itself. For the best flavour and texture, it's essential to use a whole chicken. This allows the meat to cook evenly and stay juicy. Plus, using a whole chicken means you can use the bones to make a homemade chicken broth, which is great for adding flavour to other dishes.
Another essential element of this recipe is the lemon. It's what gives the dish its signature tangy flavour and helps to tenderize the meat. I recommend using fresh lemons, as they have a brighter flavour than bottled lemon juice. Plus, you can use the leftover lemon wedges!
Hope you enjoy!